Monday, January 28, 2008

Bought myself another bike









Yep, I didn't go back to bed- well not right away. I went to lawrencia cycles in Hawthorn (after the Prahran shops gave me NOTHING in the way of customer service) and got myself a Gitane Mach 1600. I do love it- but because it isn't a brand I was very familiar with I am a bit scared now that I will find out they are made in slave labour camps out of cardboard so I have been a bit shy about it.
I went in to buy the Giant OCR2 which has sora groupset (bottom of the range) and no carbon but is a nice looking bike. I came out with the Gitane which has Tiagra (next up the line) groupset and carbon forks.
It has been a long time since I was on a racer - it felt soooo little and light compared to my mountain bike- and they make different seats for girls now! Not just mens seats in pink either- ohmigod- what will they think of next!
A long time ago- before I got my licence, my BFF Catie and I would cycle everywhere everday of our holidays- 120 km round trips just for the sake of it were not unusual. I know that I am just keen to get back cycling because it reminds me of those olden days and because it will take my mind off how much I wish I was running.

Rode to work today and it was the start of the office get fit campaign which meant that instead of an over long coffee break, the boys and I got changed and went down the road to the gym for a half hour today. I did 10mins on the rower, recumbent bike and the funny runner thing. It was good to see the new mentality taking over and I was impressed that they went through with their plan after talking it up all week.

The bad news is that my patella tendon is very sore again- I have been doing a lot of walking recently and I think it is time to scale it back a bit- Bella could probably do with a break too! She has been walked all over Melbourne recently.