I was up at the usual hour this morning- walked Bella then rode to the pool for the first leg of the ausrun online summer triathlon. I decided just to do the 500m swim this morning because I was very under-prepared thanks to the no carb thingy while I am trying to get my weight down. (It is only no carb if I can easily avoid them- no point having carbs when I don't need them)
Anyway I was a bit late to the pool and it was pretty busy so I just got straight in and started powering away- I started swimming just after about seven blokes had all turned and started their next lap thinking that it would be a while before they lapped me and came up behind me. However, because I was concentrating on speed I realised that I was going to be overtaking them- and I did on the second lap. It must have made them realise how slow they were going- because they all sped up and overtook me, but then they slowed down and I was back to tickling the toes of the bloke in front of me.
Gradually I just picked them off again until I could swim without worrying about running into someone.
I did the first 500m in 10.25 which is pretty bad, but I haven't been swimming very regularly- but I thought that it hardly seemed worth the effort if I was going to get out of the pool after that so I did the next 500m as fast as I could- not very fast again- 11:35. So I made my 1km time 21:55. Plenty of room for improvement.
Then I rode to work and started my working day a little bit weary.
I rode home a different way after the boys at work convinced me that there was a bike lane on Clarendon Street despite the annoying hook turns. No bike lane and lots of strange traffic manoeuvres before I got onto the bike lane around Albert Park Lake with a charming head wind. The cycling route problem is not yet solved.
