Friday, December 28, 2007

Sports Doc, Christmas and snakes

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Yes I am a bit late, but I don't know how I did it, I managed to destroy Mum's computer as well- I must have the virus because Mum's computer crashed after I used it too.

sports doc
Another cortisone injection into the ankle which didn't hurt too much, but the doc was VERY happy with the knee and I was very happy there was no injection suggested for that joint. Another two weeks and I go back for probably another injection in the ankle. The bad thing was that I was told not to walk much for four days so our lovely four day weekend at Port Fairy was spent cooped up inside- luckily it was blowing a gale and pouring rain the whole time.

Christmas
We had a great day- Santa is bringing me a washing machine as I lost the last one in the property division- it was never mine to begin with so that was fair enough. I also got some other good stuff, magazine subscriptions, cook books etc. I also ate and drank enough to make me feel like the enormous man on the Meaning of Life- but Mum's pudding was fantastic and I just couldn't help it (and I wanted to find some coins in it).


On Boxing Day I was chatting to a friend on the phone and saw a tiger snake in the back yard so I raced out and kept an eye on it while Mum and my sister in law came running (in their bare feet- luckily I had my safety birkenstocks on!). Mum gave me the closest implement of destruction- a pick- so I was trying to whack it with that while she went for something else. All I did was make it angry and nearly take my toes off with the pick so Mum got me a shovel and I managed to whack it a few times before I could pin it down- but it was going crazy so Mum came up and got it with the pick and cut it in half. But then it just wiggled around like a crazy thing- both pieces- so I pinned it again with the shovel and my sister in law clocked it in the head with the pick again. It was only a little one, but my heart rate was going a million miles an hour. Then I was talking to my sister on the phone and I saw another one coming out from under the house but it got away before the killing team could get into action.
It is so sad to kill them because they are beautiful to look at, but with the kids around and the dog it is not even an option to let them go. We were so nervous afterwards but we never saw the other snake again- I couldn't believe it wanted to come out after the mad pick and shovel show we had just put on. I had a bit of an adrenaline rush for a while afterwards- and it took ages for my pulse rate to come down.

I stayed around the farm for a bit longer because my brother and his wife went to Melbourne so I helped baby sit the kids which was a lot of fun- though I was devasted when I left this afternoon to a chorus of "good bye Bella, we love you, we'll miss you Bella". Apparently aunty Sarsy can't compete with a few licks in the face, fetching the ball and eating every leftover piece of every meal (though I am pretty good at that).