Sunday, July 15, 2007

PB- With JoJo

Yep- got my 10km time down to 58:44 (though the official time be about 59:00 because it was a bit congested at the start and I started my watch on the line.
It was damn cold but not as bad as it has been recently- I walked Bella then drove to Carlton to Princes Park. I met Jo and she accompanied me on my tours of the toilets before the start. We saw Lostboy and Sue, Andrew, Tigerboy, Supersam, Pinklady and Eat 'Em.
Twenty metres after the start we were all walking as it became so congested and horrible, but it didn't last too long and we were running soon enough. Jo was chatting away and I had one ear of my ipod in so I didn't have to worry about distractions- what I mean is that I need to be constantly distracted so it was all good.
Our splits were:
6:06
5:44
5:42
5:42
6:04
5:54
??? (8:33)
??? (3:02)
5:54
5:57

Not sure what happened to the 7th and 8th splits, but we can safely assume that we were never going that fast or that slow. The path was a bit narrow in parts because there was oncoming traffic and all the speedsters were trying to pass- one man told me off for not running single file, but I was trying to overtake at the time.
There were a few hills that took the wind out of my sails for a bit, and when Jo really wanted me to sprint for the finish I knew I would be happy just to maintain the 5.30 pace. I was pretty happy to finish and get a pancake into me- they are so good.
We hung around for a bit, cheering on all the 30km runners who were looking so strong at the 15km mark, but it was a bit cold so we decided to leave.

So now I have beaten that time I am allowed to go to Sportsmart today and buy new trackpants and a long sleeved running top- that was the deal I made with myself this morning.