Sunday, April 01, 2007

Run4Kids 88mins!

I am pretty glad that is over! It was so much fun and I beat last years time by 7 minutes!
I got up way too early, walked Bella to the park (where I was standing beside the road trying to work out what a noise was then I realised it was a couple having "ooshmackoondy" in the car I was standing next to- I was embarassed and they should have been).

I got home, stressed some more about doing number 2s then went and picked up my friend Kendra. I parked near work and we walked to the mosh pit! There were so many people- we ended up going to the Music Bowl toilets because the queue was only 20 metres long, not 120m! Then we had to find the baggage drop off then join the start. It must have taken 20 minutes for me to cross the line and the whole time I was getting less friendly with the organisers. Finally we were running and over the line and heading straight for the tunnel.

I didn't think the tunnel was that bad this year- last year I couldnt breath in there- but I lost Kendra who sprinted away. As usual the hills killed me and I was seriously thinking about walking up the Bolte but I took a few steps then realised I might never start running again so I kept going.
The Latrobe Street hill was probably the shortest but the worst for me- I was really struggling and hating every second- then when I got to Spencer Street I was back weaving through the crowd again.

My ankle was fine- my inner calf muscle was very nasty though and I might have to routinely strap it because I was starting to think that I would have to stop on the Bolte because it hurt so much. But I got distracted by Britney on my ipod and tried to forget about it.
My splits are all over the place- a few in the 5m/k and a few 6m/k and a 4 and an 8???? But my average pace was .......5.53 m/k! That is my fastest yet- faster even than the 8km Zoo Run! That is based on the course being 15km, and I am more inclined to believe that it was 14.8 which would still keep me under the 6min/k limit! I was so excited when I realised that I was going to beat last years time - I actually had some go left in my legs which is the opposite of last year where I could barely raise a trot at the end!

When I finished we were shunted into a mass of people that moved ever so slowly and all I wanted was a drink- I didn't drink at all on the course - though I poured one cup over my head. I was hungry, tired, blood sugar was getting low and we were shunted in with all the prams and bikes on sticks- the next person who pushed their pusher into my ankle was going to have that pusher pushed somewhere unpleasant!
After about 15 minutes I was given a bag containing rubbish but thankfully it had a tiny bottle of water in it and some lollies so my patience, tolerance and happy thoughts returned.

I went to Transport and met lots of Ausrunners and Coolrunners- had two beers (or was it three) then headed home (via the fish and chip shop....I know, but I decided I had earned it)

So I am sitting here in my 2XU tights (had to return them and get the small ones!) with my foot in a bucket of ice bricks. So tired and I was hoping the housework fairy might have visited while I was away but she must have run out of time.