Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Short Run

I went for a very short run yesterday after I taped my foot up like it was part mummy and I had no heel pain whatsoever! I didn't run very far 5km along Orrong Road to Toorak Road, down Clendon Road to Malvern then back the way I came. I don't normally run along the road because I prefer a track or a park but this was a bit interesting because it had hills and I was running in Toorak just plain gawking at the houses. Money might not buy you happiness but it buys you a big fence to hide all that sadness! The pace was very slow but I got up the hills quite welll and I am planning on using Orrong Road to train for the Great Train Race because it is massively undulating all the way down to the Yarra and back- though it is not very far- maybe 2.5km there.
I had dinner with some girlfriends last night- big on gossip and a great catch up session and I decided to leave the car in Albert Park (maybe too much wine, maybe not but I didn't think it was worth risking it). So Bella and I got up early this morning and walked to the car via the lake. All the Grand Prix infastructure is nearly gone from the lake- but it is all dusty and horrible so it will take a while before it is back to normal.
Not sure about going to spin class today or whether I should taper some more. In "Lore of Running" Noakes says that the reason we find it so hard to taper is because of our ego- we need reassurance that we are still fit so we want to keep exercising to prove to ourselves that we can do it. So I am going to try to ignore the ego and taper properly.