Monday, October 08, 2007

Well watching marathons and doing very little has worn me down a bit so I decided to take today off- I am owed a few days so I thought I would let the boss know at about 7.30 this morning- I will find out tomorrow how well that went down!
I spent yesterday shaking my money maker on Fitzroy Street, St Kilda- cheering for the coolrunners and ausrunners and anyone else who looked like they were starting to flag a bit. There were some amazing people out there- sure they people who sprinted past on their way out and back (and we were at the 6 or 36km mark - for the marathon, or the 6 or 15km mark for the half) but the people who amazed me even more were the people who had given it EVERYTHING and were hurting but were still putting one foot in front of the other and just keeping on going.
We were handing out icypoles and lolly snakes to anyone who wanted them and I wished we had another two hundred cheap icypoles because so many people were just so grateful to get something cold, wet and sugary into their system. I am sure they thought we were part of the whole marathon thing and not just a little cheer squad handing out free stuff.
I was a sad that I wasn't out there running but I still feel like I was part of it- I saw so many people I know (mainly because I was shaking a maraca and shouting so they called out my name when they saw me) but I am so impressed by AJH and superjacent because they had run so far, and were absolutely knackered but still chasing the finish line.
Today I have walked Bella for ages, caught up with beautiful Savanna and her gorgeous bundle of joy Abbie and swum 1.2km.
I went out to where we did our training for work to use the pool- gotta love a 50m pool with 8 lanes and just me with my own personal life guard- who apologised because he wasn't at work on the weekend and someone fiddled with the controls and it was 2 degrees too cold (it was perfect). I thought about the 20 weeks I spent there and how the pool was a source of torture- 50m sprints, climb out and 10 pushups on the side of the pool (nice look in your togs) then walk back to the other end and repeat until your arms are jelly- I could barely carry my books to class after that.