I have just returned from Hobart and I am so tired but I am resisting the urge for a nanna nap.
Friday- I went to the physio and he said no running, no cycling or swimming (not much chance of that in Hobart!). He said my neck tendons are like piano wire and gave me some movements to practise and suggested anti-inflammatories. We flew to Hobart and had dinner with Dad's cousin and his wife who had also come over with us from Melbourne to find out about the Tasmanian Morses.
My sister and I were tired so we went to bed early - though not before I had gone up to the room we were sharing and short sheeted her bed. I know it is childish and I am 32 now- but it is almost tradition and the look on her face was hilarious- she rang my brother in Perth to complain but I had already told him what I planned to do so he just laughed at her.
Saturday- I got up early and wandered around Hobart - it is such a beautiful old city though I am surprised they don't really make the most of the water frontage. Then Prue finally got up (a bit grumpily because our hotel was next to a pub that had loud music and yahoos out the front all night) and we went to the Salamanca markets- so close to the hotel and so much food! I had a great vegan pie- I wish I had two! We didn't buy a lot but I think we must have wandered around for about three hours. We went to meet Dad's 2nd cousin Eric who is 88 and has researched the family history. We had lunch and were each given a book that traces our ancestory. It was so good to meet relatives! We only have a few that we are in contact with and thankfully Eric has written down where we have come from or it would all be lost.
From Eric's we walked to the Cascade Brewery and although my Dad was concerned we wouldn't be able to get a drink there (!!!) we settled in and sampled some of the local wares.
Saturday night we went to the Casino with Eric and his daughter to have dinner at the buffet- the food was ordinary but that is not surprising- when I hear the word buffet I think only of Smorgy's. Then we had a few drinks in the bar (where Eric Bana was telling his friends about smashing his car during the Targa Rally) and went back to the hotel to hear the live music from the pub next door through the walls until about 3am!
Such a great weekend- it would have only been better if I had a chance to run along the path that runs along the water from the war memorial- it looked so good- and you can even run over their bridge which is enormous.
My head, neck and shoulders are feeling much better- I am sure I should be allowed to run soon but I have learnt the hard way that it is better to listen to the advice of medical professionals- after all we do pay them for it!
