Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Long Story Short

I had yesterday off so it has been a while since I posted, here goes:

Saturday
It was my friend Savannah's hens day and birthday so we had a lovely lunch at the Stokehouse. I managed to get some more carbs in (great risotto) and avoided all alcohol (I even surprised myself). Savannah avoided all the usual tacky bride things, though she did have to answer some questions about her betrothed that included some things she didn't need to reveal in front of her mother. I made it to bed early but didn't really sleep very well.

Sunday - D Day
I woke up with a fright at 5.40 and madly showered dressed despite being very early. I had to go to work and get my race number which I had foolishly left in my diary at work. I went to my friend Kendra's house and waited with her for our lift and then we all crammed in the car with the rest of the girls and then there was no turning back.
Kendra and I headed straight for the portaloos at the start area- and queued as it rained on us. We huddled together to keep warm as we waited then once we had finished in the portaloos we headed to the start. We followed the shivering masses up the hill to the start (very glad we didn't start at the bottom of the hill). Then it became nice and warm so we both donated our tops to the pile of clothes on the side of the road. After the national anthem (I did take my hat off) we were on our way.
The wind felt like a tail wind and we were doing 5.30 min k's at the start but then this drifted out despite our efforts to keep it up. We averaged 6.13 min k's (Sandy Point I averaged 6.27 min k's) which was okay but my original plan of finishing under 2hrs was never going to happen- I would have to shave 50 seconds off per km from my Sandy Point time.
It was a good run and I didn't feel tired until the last 4km, we even put in some efforts and tried a bit of speed to get away from a very pongy man who seemed determined to run in front of us with his odour assaulting my nose as I tried to suck in some air.
Kendra stayed with me most of the whole way despite it being obvious she could stride out and finish way ahead of me. We saw our friend Vic madly waving on the side of the road, then my sister also carrying on and keeping me going a bit longer.
I really enjoyed the run, I didn't get any joint or muscle pain and did better than last time. Kendra struck out with about 2km to go and met me at the end. Burnt 1565 calories (AVERAGED 182 BPM!)

Recovery
After we finished and collected our medal (which I hung around my neck much to Kendra's embarrassment!) and got some fruit and finally sat down and stretched. We still felt ok so Kendra headed home while I thought I would wait and see how Steve went. Then I felt very unwell, apparently I lost all my colour and everyone was a bit worried about me so I decided to head home. I made it to the tram then collapsed on a grotty seat. I made it to my street then my body decided to reject the fruit and endura and I made a public spectacle of myself by throwing up in the street.
After I had slept then had more bread I felt a million dollars. Took Bella for a walk then had the girls around for some wine and dip etc. My quads and hip flexors hurt a bit as well as my shoulders but I was very relaxed. I didn't have the massive weight loss like I did last time but I think that was because I ate too much. Next time I won't just eat everything in sight, but I will make sure I eat on the morning of the run, this time I had nothing because I woke up with a massive head ache so I only consumed panadol.

Monday 9th October
Had a swim to get the muscles moving but they were pretty tight so had a light jog to the gym and did a spin class which hurt a lot but I definitely felt better afterwards.

Tuesday 10th October
My legs felt good this morning so I thought I would rest them some more, I used the rower at the gym then did some weights.

Need to find the next goal, but I just checked my calendar and realised I have no free Sunday until December 3rd.