Sunday, September 16, 2007

Good nights sleep, 18km HM course and a massive walk!

I got up before 5am (only just) and took Bella for a quick spin around the park then I headed out from home. I was taped up, gel in pockets, ipod charged and ready to go- I just forgot to turn off the weather. It was good weather for flying kites this morning- if you don't mind flying your kite in the wind.
I ran down High Street to St Kilda Road, to Fitzroy Street, down to Albert Park lake to Albert Road, to Beaconsfield Parade to Fitzroy Street, up to St Kilda Road to Fed Square, over W.B. bridge and over to the tan.
My knee held up really well- no pain whatsoever, however my PF was killing me at the end and I was definitely landing very gingerly on my right foot for the last 5km. I had a gel at the 9km mark and when I finished I realised that I didn't have that hollow pit in my stomach which was good. When I had to stop at the lights I did my pilates back stretch and I am not sure if that is the reason, but I didn't have any shoulder/ back pain that usually plagues me from the 7km mark.
Sadly when I finished running I had to walk home! I had been running for just over 2 hours (did I mention how slow I am?) and I had a long way to go. So I have established that I can still walk the last few kms if I have to! I walked the 5km home, limping and hobbling like an old lady down Chapel Street.
So:
the good- no knee or back pain, finally got some kms in before the big day
the bad- massive PF pain
the ugly- the pace!

I have realised that I am not capable of sustaining 6min/km at the moment- so I think my time will be in the vicinity of 2:20mins- might start off with the pacing bus and see how I go. It really all depends on the wind and it was nasty this morning.

I am definitely going to apply for the NT spots- there are only 10 places and it will be competitive, but I think I need to be shunted out of my career comfort zone as well as my day to day comfort zone and I think a 6 month stint in a shipping container dodging rocks might do that for me!