I made it out for a run today and it was a big one (for me) 19 ks around the tan in the early hours of the morning while it was still mild and not as windy as it is now. Because I was a bit unsure about how I was going to feel I wanted to stay near the car so I just did laps of the tan instead of venturing out along some of the loops that Steve has mapped out for me. My splits weren't that good- until my last one which was two minutes quicker than the previous four- and I don't know why. I felt good all the way and only had one pit stop- a new record for me on my long runs.
On my first lap I was overtaken by a pack of runners who took up the whole path and nearly ran me off the path, then someone coming the other way must have decided to stick on the path rather than get out of their way so they jostled and shouted at him. It was nasty to watch especially because the solo runner was a lot older than me so I was pretty shocked to see him treated like that.
I have been shoved by a runner in a pack coming down Anderson St hill before because I was obviously in his way as the pack overtook me- it was horrible because I try to keep out of everyone's way but I imagine it is like a ski slope and you give way to those in front of you. I bet when those guys hit the slopes they snowboard.
My ankle is a little sore now but other than that I have pulled up okay- though tomorrow will tell. I was messing around with how I carry my ipod and I just attached the plastic clip to my waistband today and by the second lap I had worn a hole in my hip- ouch. I moved it around a bit, but I think the arm strap is going to be the answer.
I burnt 1545 calories and averaged 164 bpm. I am happy just to be getting my groove back after 5 days without a proper run- and I enjoyed my run today.
